I am a blessed person, and I’ve always known it. My grounding force is a small voice that tells me that no matter what, I’m going to be okay. As I ruminate on this knowing, especially here at the beginning of a new year, I find it a great jumping-off point for putting together my professional goals list for 2012. But I’m also a realist; I know that if these things don’t come to pass, they’ll simply carry over to a following year. Some of these goals are lofty and some are super-attainable. What I know is that I need to put this out there. . . to the Universe. . . to You. In my life I’ve learned that’s how things manifest for me: if I don’t ask, the answer is always, “no.” To that end, here’s what I’m asking:
1. I’d like to do makeup for an Asheville, NC wedding. I’m talking Biltmore or Grove Park Inn. Or even a wedding in a barn in a field of glorious Western North Carolina. I want to take a little piece of Charleston up I-26 to one of my favorite spots in the world. I want to be part of a team of professionals who helps make an Appalachian wedding into a dreamscape. I want those photos to be part of my portfolio of interesting places and beautiful faces.
2. I want to do more publication work. I love my brides, and my weekends are dedicated to them. However, it’s the spice of my work-life to pepper my weekdays with photo shoots, lifestyle shoots, and commercial work. This is where I have the opportunity to mingle with other creatives and they FEED me. They make me want to grow, think around the box, and be the best makeup artist I can be. I crave this.
3. I’d like to continue my education as a MUA. Specifically The Makeup Show in London this September. All the most brilliant minds of makeup artistry are represented, along with the most cutting-edge brands and tools. Staying on top of trends, tools, and techniques is paramount to any MUA’s career.
4. I’d like to make makeup application videos. I know YouTube is brimming with them, but I feel I have a circle of clients and friends who would love to see them and could benefit from me putting them out there. Nothing long and drawn out. . . I’ll try to keep it under 3 minutes.
5. I want to deepen my current professional relationships. I’ve been so fortunate to surround myself with quality folk. . .people who trust me but also know they can rely on me. It is such a HUGE compliment to know that someone has referred me and my services. What they are really saying is, “I trust Pamela.” That means the world to me. There are a couple of pro-relationships who are on the periphery of my world. . . we’ve dabbled in the past and maybe we don’t work together very often. But to them I say, “Let’s dance! Let’s take a chance and get to know one another.” I got some goods and I’ll bring them to the party 🙂
6. I’d like to be a mentor to the right person. . . someone who is serious about a career in makeup, is at least as reliable and professional as I am (if not more). This last one is a big one for me. It may take the longest to accomplish because it means relinquishing a little control. I get asked fairly often if I would “train” someone to be a MUA which is very appealing to the teacher-side of me. It’s a compliment I know, but up until now, I have felt so protective over what I’ve built with my business. Starting from scratch and learning every little step of the way. But I also know that part of my evolution in this role, and as a good steward in this karmic world, is to pass along what may be useful and helpful to someone else. After all, makeup is just part of this. . . it’s so psychological and the business is really about making connections to other human beings. For me, once the trust is established, the artistry flows.
So, there it is. My hopes, dreams, wishes, and goals for 2012. Whatcha gonna do with it, Universe?
I love you Pamela. I tried for Asheville…and will try again. You are amazing and one of (if not THE) best makeup artists around. I feel honored to get the chance to work with you and can’t wait to see what 2012 holds. Go get em!!!
My dear friend Pamela!! You continue to inspire me and let me know that I CAN!! I’m so blessed to be able to work with you and when we’re done be able to laugh with you!! 2012 is not ready for what Pamela Lesch has in store!!!